Friday, September 3, 2010

Smart Meters

I've been reading so much lately about Smart Meters in Westerville that I think my brain now needs a meter! If, unlike me, you've somehow been able to avoid all of the media hype surrounding this issue, you can read about it on the following blog:

www.columbuscastles.com/westerville-electric-smart-meters

Also, there is an article in the Westerville News & Public Opinion dated September 1, 2010.

My only concern about this issue is the cost. From what I can gather (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the Federal Grant money will only pay for 50% of the cost to install these. So, the rest of the cost will get passed on to us taxpayers. Considering the current economic climate, is this really what we need RIGHT NOW? Plus, it's my understanding that the initial "estimated" cost to install these meters usually ends up being significantly lower than the "actual" cost.

The Westerville City Council will be voting on this issue this coming Tuesday (Sept. 7th). My question is, if this is going to affect all of us in Westerville, shouldn't all citizens be able to vote on it? Shouldn't it be on a ballot?

From what I have read, this technology is ever-changing. IF the council decides to move forward with this, chances are, the meters will need to be upgraded within 5 years. Apparently, this issue is popping up all over the U.S.. I recently found a snippet about Maryland voting down this very same issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment